Monday, November 18, 2013

But what do you eat? My breakfast frittata

In the Doctor's Lounge sometimes we talk about different ways to eat. When I mention that I've been doing Low Carb for the last 15 months, one question that continues to come up is, "You can't have bread? I couldn't live without bread!"

In response, here is my breakfast this week:

Fry in one pan, several strips of bacon chopped; half an Andouille sausage, and about six ounces of fresh elk sausage.
In a large cast iron pan, put a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil and stir fry about 2 cups of chopped sweet yellow, red, and orange peppers, part of a chopped onion, then add a box of Shiitake mushrooms and a couple of handfuls of baby kale. Stir and fry until the kale is limp.

Dump the meat in the cast iron pan, then pour in a dozen eggs (yes, a dozen eggs) beaten. Stir it up and put in a 350 oven for 20 minutes to harden up.

Six slices of goodness. Beats the heck out of a bagel! Serve with some green tabasco sauce and plenty of salt.

Basically, I eat every day like most people eat when they are on vacation. I don't miss the bread at all actually.

But Doc, what about your cholesterol? Aren't you killing yourself?

Actually no. My HDL went from 50 to 77 in six months, and triglycerides from 90 to 38. My doc couldn't believe it; he had never seen such a change in HDL.

It's not the fat. It's not the fat. It's not the fat. It's the carbohydrates that are killing us. But more on that in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment