Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Welcome to the PaleoPathologist Blog

Welcome to the PaleoPathologist blog! Where does the name come from? Paleo means old, pathologist is, well, a doctor who does pathology! That would be me, an old pathologist? Well I am pushing 60. but as they say 60 is the new 40, unless you are hiking up a steep snowcovered mountain with your two sons in law, one a former Army Ranger, the other a high school baseball player turned marathon runner, in pursuit of the Mighty elk. Then 60 is the new, uh, 55? Another kind of paleopathologist is a scientist who studies the disease of ancient folks (no, not 60 year old ancient like me, more like 600 or 6,000 or 60,000 year olds.) That would definitely NOT be me. Another meaning of "paleo" comes from the "Paleo community" which is a movement trying to figure out how we are supposed to be eating and living based on evolutionary ideas. Other names are "primal", "Cave man", etc. The Paleo community generates a lot of interesting hypotheses and I'll link to some of the sites that I've found most interesting. There is an older, more scientifically solid community that also interests me, the low carbohydrate community (the best known is Dr. Atkins of the "diet revolution.") Modern players: Volek, Phinney, Westman, Taubes, and Attia come to mind. Follow along; I'll try to link to interesting stuff and also try to figure out how the blogger interface works! Doc Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment